Eligibility and Guidelines
- The competition is open to any resident of North Carolina or South Carolina, including previous contestants, except for members of the Lanier Library Staff, its Board of Directors, or competition judges.
- Previously published poems are not eligible for the competition.
- There are two categories for entries: Adults and High School Students
- Poems are to be typed in 12-point font (single spaced) and may not exceed 40 lines. The preferred method of submission is electronic. Electronic submissions are only accepted via Submittable. If submitting by mail or in person, please include the Poetry Competition Application and two copies of each poem with the poet’s name on only one copy.
Entries should be mailed to:
The Lanier Library Association
Attn: Poetry Competition 2017
72 Chestnut Street
Tryon, North Carolina 28782
- There is an entry fee of $10 per poem ($5 for student entries). Multiple submissions are acceptable; competitors may submit up to 5 poems, accompanied by a $10/$5 fee per poem.
- Prizes will be awarded as follows:
1st place: $500
2nd place: $250
3rd place: $100
High School Students:
1st place: $100
2nd place: $75
3rd place: $50
In addition, qualified poems will be awarded a certificate of Honorable Mention.
- The deadline for entries is April 1, 2016 (deadline for postmarked or submitted in person). Winners will be notified in April.
- The final competition judge will be Dr. Kathy Ackerman, author of Coal River Road.
- Competition finalists will be notified by phone or email at least two weeks prior to the Award Ceremony.
- The Award Ceremony for the competition will be held at the Lanier Library on Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. The ceremony will be followed by a reception for contestants and their friends and families.